What to Look for When Buying a Smartwatch: Samsung vs. Apple
Apple has dominated the smart wearables market for almost a decade. With its most recent innovation, the Apple Watch 8, Apple intends to monopolize the smartwatch industry as we enter the new year.
However, the not-so-unknown electronic-producing powerhouse company, Samsung, is looking to conquer the smartwatch game with its most recent creation, the Galaxy Watch5.
This article will discuss the differences between these popular smartwatch models and what features to look for when deciding which smartwatch is best for you.
Samsung and Apple are polar opposites in appearance. The classic, vintage round watch shape is preferred by Samsung devices, but the Apple design exudes an attractive futuristic appeal.
Apple Watch Series 8
This watch features a square face and a narrow minimalist border to optimize screen size. The square screen will always appear more significant in size and be of more use than an actual screen. The newest Apple watch is available in five sizes:
- Apple Watch Series 8: 41mm or 45mm
- Apple Watch SE: 40mm or 44mm
- Apple Watch Ultra: 49 mm
Color & Material
The Apple Watch Series 8 collection has limited frame color options with multiple choices of coloring and material for the interchangeable band.
Each individual model is cultivated using a specific metal, some of which offer better durability for a slightly higher cost.
- Apple Watch Series 8 (Aluminum): Midnight, Starlight, Product Red, Silver
- Apple Watch SE (Stainless Steel): Gold, Graphite, Silver, Space Black
- Apple Watch Ultra (Titanium): Silver
The Apple Watch Series 8 collection has varying grades of durability based on the model. The durability of a smartwatch is essential when considering the types of activities you often perform.
- The Standard Series 8 has an aluminum frame which may be slightly more susceptible to scratches than the alternative models. However, the matte finish of this watch was implemented to conceal any slight scrapes or scratches. It has a water resistance rating of 50 meters and is IP6X dust resistant, meaning no dust can enter the device.
- The Apple SE variant features a more robust, stainless steel frame to prevent the device from shattering or cracking under significant pressure or impact. However, the glossy finish of this model may make scratches or scrapes more prominent. It has a water resistance rating of 50 meters.
- The Apple Ultra variant is the epitome of durability, with a titanium frame and sapphire glass. This watch is exceptionally lightweight, has a water resistance rating of 100 meters, and is ultimately dust resistant. It also has a MIL-STD 810H certification. It passed rigorous testing on extreme environmental conditions, including high and low temperatures, altitude, immersion, temperature shock, shock, vibration, and freezing and thawing.
Samsung Galaxy Watch5
The classically styled round appearance of the Samsung Watch5 is understated and sophisticated, appealing to those who have a taste for the traditional wristwatch. The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 line is available in three sizes:
- Samsung Galaxy Watch5: 40mm or 44mm
- Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro: 45mm
Color & Material
The Samsung Watch5 collection consists of a stainless steel or titanium frame available in various colors. You can personalize your watch to match your preference using Bespoke Studio, which allows you to select the model, dimension, case color, and strap style.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch5 (Stainless Steel): Graphite, Silver, Pink Gold, Purple, Sapphire
- Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro (Titanium): Black Titanium, Gray Titanium
Both models of Samsung Watch5 utilize sapphire glass for display, increasing both devices’ durability and crack resistance. The primary difference is the frame material. The standard series uses stainless steel, while the Pro features military-grade titanium for ultimate protection. Both variants are:
- IP68 Certified: Dust Protection and Water-Resistant up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes.
- 5ATM Water Resistant: Water Resistant up to 50 meters deep for 10 minutes.
- MIL-STD-810H Certified: The watch passed rigorous testing for heat resistance, water resistance, dust resistance, and shock resistance after exposure to extreme temperatures.
2.) Software & Functionality
Software plays a significant role in creating a personalized, interactive user experience. The Apple Watch Series 8 uses its own operating system called watchOS, while the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 runs on a modified version of Google’s Wear OS.
While the two devices offer similar features, they execute them differently. The Apple watch series 8 uses swipeable bars, while the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 utilizes a rotating bezel. Moreover, the Apple watch series 8 offers an optimal selection of Health and Exercise applications, while the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 focuses more on lifestyle experiences.
Ultimately, it boils down to personal preference and determining which interface you find more engaging and comfortable.
New Features of the Apple Watch Series 8 & watchOS 9
- New Watch Faces: The new Apple Watch Series 8 will feature a variety of new watch faces. Allowing users to customize the information displayed (such as the weather conditions or your heart rate).
- GPS Tracking: This feature allows users to see their current location and track their progress as they move around. The watch will also be able to provide directions to the user if they need help getting back to their starting point.
- Activity Tracking: Improved activity tracking features allows users to track their progress and see how many calories they have burned during their workout. The watch will also track the user’s heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, and accurate cycle tracking (women).
- Emergency: The watch will automatically call 911 or the user’s emergency contact if it detects that the user has fallen and is unresponsive. It will also send a text message to the user’s emergency contacts with their current location. All Apple watches include crash and fall detection, and Ultra places an 86-decibel siren within your reach.
- Sleep Tracking: This app allows users to track their sleep patterns and see how they sleep over time. It will also provide tips on how to get a better night’s sleep and track your progress toward your sleep goals.
- Apple Pay: A mobile payment system that allows users to make payments using their iPhone or Apple Watch. With the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Pay will now be available in more countries and support more banks and credit cards.
- watchOS 9: In addition to the new features available on the Apple Watch Series 8, several new features are coming to watchOS 9. These include a new Maps app with turn-by-turn directions, an updated Weather app, and a redesigned Reminders app. Several improvements are coming to Siri, including the ability to set timers and alarms using your voice.
New Features of the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 & Wear OS
- Connectivity: Features Bluetooth 5.0 for connecting to wireless headphones or other Bluetooth devices. It also has NFC for making payments with Samsung Pay or other NFC-enabled payment systems. Additionally, the watch has GPS for tracking your location while running or hiking.
- Fall Detection: The device features a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope that can detect when a user has fallen. If the watch detects a fall, it automatically calls emergency services and sends a message to the user’s emergency contacts.
- GPS Tracking: Allows users to track their location and view their route on a map. This feature can be helpful for various purposes, such as tracking your route and location on a new hike.
- Activity Tracking: Allows users to track various activities, including walking, running, cycling, swimming, and more. The watch also has built-in sensors to monitor heart rate, blood oxygen levels, and sleep patterns.
- Altitude Tracking: The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 also has an altitude tracker, which can track your elevation while hiking or climbing. This feature can help avoid dangerous areas or getting lost in unfamiliar terrain.
- Weather Alerts: The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 can receive weather alerts from the built-in barometer. This feature can help you stay aware of severe weather conditions in your area so that you can take appropriate precautions.
- Stress Management: This feature allows you to track your stress levels and get insights into managing stress better.
- SOS mode: The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 has an SOS mode that can be activated in an emergency situation. When SOS mode is activated, the watch will automatically send a message to your emergency contacts and call 911. This feature can be helpful if you are injured or in danger and cannot call for help.
3.) Battery Life
- Apple Watch 8 and SE promise a battery life of up to 18 hours, using a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, stretching that out to almost double with an Ultra upgrade.
- On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 offers an even more impressive battery life. The smaller Watch5 models contain a 410 mAh battery (13% larger than Watch 4 line) and promise an improved battery life of 50 hours. The Watch5 Pro has a larger casing containing a 590 mAh battery, with 80 hours of use time on a single charge.
Apple Watch prices start with the SE model, which can be found for just over $229.00, moving up to Watch 8 starting at $379.00 and rounding off with Apple’s luxury offering at $729.00.
Samsung Watch5 also starts at $229.00 for their base model and slowly climbs the prices through option packages until it reaches Watch5 Pro LTE at $429.00.
Samsung Galaxy Watch5 vs Apple Series 8: Summary
Whether upgrading your smartwatch or purchasing one for the first time, consider what features are most important to you. Review the table below for a side-by-side analysis of the top features to look for when deciding between a Samsung or Apple smartwatch. Both brands present exceptional devices. However, it is up to you to decide which is more suitable for your lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
With cellular, there is no need to keep a bulky iPhone around, and you can answer phone calls, text, and listen to music directly from your watch.
Samsung offers more holistic options, better customizability, battery life, and price. Both are great offerings, but we’re leaning toward Samsung.
The most glaring difference is the shape, but there are also significant differences in the hardware and battery capacity.
Yes, you can text using a preinstalled “messenger” app.
Not the best idea. Technically, you can use them that way, but they were not designed to be used together, and it’ll get pretty complicated.
Unfortunately, the Samsung Galaxy watch series is not designed to operate with IOS or IpadOS.
One of the most known disadvantages of the Apple watch is the battery life. Additionally, what customers find as a disadvantage is the need to have an iPhone for connecting and using the watch.
Yes, you can with a standalone plan, but you will need a phone for updates.
Yes, with WiFi or mobile connection, you can answer and make phone calls or send and receive messages.
Do you have a smartwatch to sell for cash? Gizmogo has the...
So you’ve encountered the tough decision between getting your hands on a...
Perhaps you’re a creator who needs a powerful tablet for digital art,...
Sometimes we become accustomed to the annoying issues we’re having with our...