When shopping for a new laptop for going back to school, but on a budget you might be interested in Chromebooks. Chromebooks run on Google’s Chrome operating system, so using one means you’ll operate out of Google Chrome to visit websites and run programs. On most newer Chromebooks it’s easy to add Android and Linux apps.
The minimalist hardware means editing photos and videos, gaming, storing a lot of data, and working off WiFi won’t necessarily work smoothly. However, if you’re using a web browser for most of the work you do on your laptop, a Chromebook might be all you need. Plus, with a price point of around $500 to $600 for a mid-range Chromebook you get great value for little investment. If you’re intrigued, read on for our top Chromebook choices in 2021.
What Chromebook Should I Choose?
You won’t find as much variation in the hardware of a Chromebook, since their design is pretty simple. Instead, you’ll want to pay attention to these aspects.
- Screen resolution: Mid-size Chromebooks are usually between 13 and 15 inches, and for this size you’ll want 1080p and above. Lower resolution will look grainy.
- Processor: A lower end processor will be enough if you only need a tab or two open at a time. For more multitasking you’ll want an Intel Core CPU such as the Core i3 or the Core i5.
- Storage Capacity: Chromebooks typically don’t include a lot of storage, generally a midrange model will have 32GB to 64 GB. If you need more than that, a few recent high-end models have switched from eMMC-based storage to128GB solid-state drive instead.
- Good price: Another hallmark of Chromebooks is that they’re much less expensive than a typical laptop. When searching for the right model, weigh the price against its performance.
- Great battery life: One of the benefits to Chromebooks is that there’s typically less going on to use up your battery. So, make sure you get that benefit by choosing a device with lasting battery strength.
- Good Connectivity: You’ll be using your device on WiFi, so make sure that it’s connectivity is strong!
Best Chromebooks in 2021
The Google Pixelbook Go:
The Google Pixelbook Go is light, speedy, responsive, and has great battery life. It also has a nice and simple design aesthetic. This one doesn’t transition into a tablet so if that’s a priority for you it might not be your top pick.
The Chromebook Spin 713:
The Chromebook Spin 713 is a mid-range priced model has a great processor in the Intel 10th gen. This allows you to multitask without crashing. It also has a beautiful large screen with great resolution. The keyboard is small, and speakers aren’t the best. But for the low price tag, you can do a lot with this convertible laptop or tablet.
Lenovo Chromebook Duet:
This is a tablet with a detachable keyboard, rather than a laptop style device. Great display, brightness, and battery life. It’s less powerful than other models on our list, but for the price you can do a lot with this device!
HP Chromebook x360 14c:
The HP Chromebook x360 14c is a slightly larger Chromebook and also a bit heavier. However, if you need your Chromebook to handle multitasking and many tabs and apps, this is a great choice as the HP Chromebook x360 14c can handle it with an Intel Core i3-10110U and a processor speed of 2.1 GHz
Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2:
The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2 is a mid-price Chromebook comes with an Intel Celeron processor, 4GB of memory and a 64GB solid-state drive. This device features one of Samsung’s QLED panels, making for a high-quality display.
The Dell Inspiron 14 Chromebook:
The Dell Inspiron 14 Chromebook is slightly heftier device has a nice display, good storage, and an aesthetically nice design. It’s processor can stand the test of multiple tabs and even artistic pursuits — which the included stylus pen can help with.
The Samsung Chromebook Plus V2:
The Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 comes with a stylus, and two cameras! It also boasts a full HD touch screen and built-in LTE modem. Plus, you can get it in bright red if you like!
Prices according to listing at the time of publishing.
Depending on your priorities, one of the above might be the perfect Chromebo