One of the best things you can do for the environment is recycle and reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. However, even when you’re trying to do the right thing by recycling, not all cities have the proper facilities to dispose of less common materials such as e-waste. If electronics are recycled properly many of the materials used in these devices can be reused, including plastic, glass, metal, and aluminum. So, what should you do to safely dispose of your old electronics? Let us share the most environmentally friendly ways!
How to get rid of your old phone responsibly
Sell your device to a recycling site
Online recycling sites make it easy to sell your used devices for cash. Keep your phone out of the landfill while also making some extra money for yourself! These sites are typically set up to make the most out of your phone, whether it’s still functioning or it’s completely dead. They have the resources to properly recycle the components of your device. One of the big advantages to these sites is that they offer you money for your device, rather than credits to use (which is how most manufacturer trade-in sites work).
A few sites that will buy your used devices are:
- Gizmogo: Offers a best price guarantee, and lets you sell all sorts of devices from smartphones to drones in any condition (yes even broken) and makes it incredibly easy to ship your device, pays you quickly for your device, and is vigilant about protecting your data.
- Gazelle: This site buys and resells phones and will send you a box to ship your phone to them.
- EcoATM: For EcoATM, you’ll need to find a physical location where one of their kiosks is available. However, you’ll be able to get money immediately for your phone.
- uSell: Another site that takes phones from a wide variety of manufacturers and will pay you with a check or PayPal.
- NextWorth: A similar site that will take your device and pay you for it.
Donate your device to a nonprofit
If your old phone or laptop is still working, but you don’t need it anymore, you can donate it. There are national nonprofits and local community organizations that accept phones, laptops, rechargeable batteries and more. A few examples are Cell Phones for Soldiers, 911 Cell Phone Bank, and the American Cell Phone Bank. Each of these non-profits take working devices and distribute them to people in need. When donating your device, be sure to clear all data off of it, and remove your SIM card if you have one. This helps keep your information safe. You may also want to get a receipt from your donation, to claim on your taxes.
Trade your phone in
Some companies such as Amazon, Best Buy, Apple, and carriers such as AT&T and Verizon have trade-in programs to help with e-waste. Typically, returning your phone through one of these programs will give you a coupon to put towards your next electronic device. For example, if you trade your phone in through Amazon’s program, you’ll receive an Amazon gift card. Or, at Apple, you can trade in approved devices and receive a discount on your next iPhone. The drawback to this is if you wanted to purchase your next device from a different retailer, those credits won’t carry over.
Drop your phone off at a state or local government recycling programs
Many states and local governments have electronics recycling programs that ensure devices are disposed of properly. Look at your state or local government website or call them to see if that option is available in your area.
Why Gizmogo is the best choice for disposing of your old phone!
If you’re trying to choose where to sell your phone, try Gizmogo. The platform focuses on the life cycle management of mobile phones, laptops, tablets, headphones, drones and so much more. Gizmogo has created a one-stop processing service platform to take the electronics collecting dust in your closet, and sell, recycle, replace, auction and exchange them. It’s the easiest way to sell your used gadgets at the highest price, with the fastest payment.
Why Gizmogo is the best choice for recycling your devices:
- A best price guarantee ensures that you’ll get the most money for your old device. In fact, if we find that your phone is in better shape than you described it, we’ll send you more than your quoted payment!
- Free USPS and UPS shipping makes it very easy to send your devices in. You’ll receive a free shipping label after you submit an order, simply put your electronic device in a box, affix the label, and drop it off at USPS or UPS! There’s also an option for prepaid shipping boxes.
- We keep your data safe. Gizmogo uses a professional data deletion service on your mobile phone or laptop and ensures the security of your information. Your information is never shared with third parties.
- Gizmogo pays for your device within one weekday after receipt of your device. You can choose to receive payment via PayPal, E-check or Amazon Gift card.
- You can rest assured that your phone won’t end up in a landfill! Do the right thing for the environment by recycling your device.